We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Strawberry Marisol is a fruitful and easy-to-care garden variety. Before planting a plant in a summer cottage, you need to study its characteristics and features.
Marisol is one of the newest strawberry varieties from the Italian company Nova Siri Genetics. In the selection process, parental varieties with high resistance to fungal diseases and unfavorable conditions were used.
Marisol strawberries entered the wide Russian market in 2017-2018
The cultivation of Marisol strawberries in their homeland in the Mediterranean started in 2015. The variety showed good yields, so the area for it was significantly expanded already in the next season.
Attention! In the winter of 2017, the Marisol strawberry in Italy showed the least number of lunges and was found to be particularly cold hardy.
Characteristics and description of the strawberry variety Marisol
Marisol is a tall plant up to 30-40 cm with strong and strong spreading peduncles. The leaves of the variety are dark green, large.
The variety produces an average number of whiskers throughout growing. Most of them are located at a distance of 5-10 cm from the mother bush.
The appearance and taste of berries
The Marisol variety yields bright red berries with an elongated conical shape. Fruit weight is 25-30 g, while the yield is fairly uniform. There are no dramatic differences in weight and size between berries harvested from the same bush.
Italian-bred strawberries give off a pleasant aromatic aroma. The flesh of the fruit is dense and fleshy, without voids, bright red. The berries are very sugary, with dessert properties, while they have good keeping quality and can be transported over considerable distances.
In hot weather, Marisol fruits become darker in color.
Ripening period and yield of strawberries Marisol
The Marisol variety ripens in the mid-early period and yields from early June to mid-July, depending on the growing region. In warm areas, strawberries develop faster, in temperate climates they enter the fruiting phase later.
The yield of the variety is rather modest. In a warm Mediterranean climate, Marisol produces an average of 800 g of berries per bush. But in most regions of Russia, the indicators are lower - up to 500 g of fruits.
At home, in the Mediterranean, Marisol is considered a cold-resistant variety that can withstand cold snaps down to -10 ° C. With good insulation of the roots, the plant slightly suffers from frost and demonstrates a minimum of attacks.
At the same time, Italian strawberries cope poorly with severe cold snaps in Russia and often die. It is recommended to grow it in the southern regions or in closed heated greenhouses in a temperate climate.
Disease and pest resistance
Strawberry Marisol was bred by breeders on the basis of varieties with high immunity. The plant rarely suffers from fungal diseases and insects, although unfavorable external conditions can negatively affect the development of berry bushes.
The danger for Marisol in the garden is:
- powdery mildew - a fungal disease that leaves a light dry bloom on the leaves;
Powdery mildew often develops on strawberries in humid conditions
- root rot - on poorly drained soil, Marisol can suffer from botrytis and late blight;
You can recognize the root rot of strawberries by the browning of the leaves and wilting of the stem.
The health of the Marisol variety is also harmed by parasitic insects. Berry bushes especially often strike:
- weevil - the pest eats away the buds of the plant in late spring and early summer;
With a weevil attack, strawberry fruiting worsens
- root nematode - the insect often appears on depleted "tired" soils;
Nematoda quickly provokes the death of the roots of strawberry Marisol
- aphids - a garden pest feeds on the juice of the green parts of strawberries and leads to their deformation and wilting of flowers;
Aphids on strawberries Marisol often appear in the presence of ants on the site
- slugs - gastropods eat the low leaves of the plant.
Slugs Infect Strawberries in Wet and Warm Weather
The fight against diseases of the strawberry variety Marisol is carried out with the help of potassium permanganate and systemic fungicides. You can remove pests with mustard infusion or a solution of laundry soap. For the prevention of ailments, it is necessary to plant the culture in sunny places with well-drained soil and regularly mulch the soil.
Pros and cons of the variety
Strawberries Marisol are appreciated by gardeners for their good immunity and excellent taste. But at the same time, the variety has disadvantages, which are especially pronounced in temperate climates.
· Rather large and weighty berries;
· Very high sugar content;
· Bright pleasant aroma of ripe fruits;
· Low requirements for the level of soil fertility;
· High resistance to pests and fungi;
· Uniform harvests.
· Average frost resistance in Russian conditions;
· Poor tolerance to high humidity - the fruits begin to rot;
· Small indicators of productivity.
Especially often, the Italian strawberry Marisol dies from recurrent frosts. In spring, it is recommended not to rush to plant the variety in open ground.
Strawberry seeds Marisol are sown for seedlings in early March. The landing algorithm is as follows:
- For strawberry seeds, a nutritious but light soil is prepared, consisting of humus and sand with the addition of garden soil.
- The seeds are spread in the soil at short intervals and placed in a cool place under a film for three days.
- Transfer the box to a well-lit room and, with regular moistening, germinate until green seedlings appear.
- They remove the shelter and rearrange the seedlings on a warm sunny windowsill.
The grown seedlings are transferred to the ground in May after the passage of return frosts.
Attention! Strawberry seeds can be sown in mid-spring and planted in a vegetable garden in July. Fruiting in this case will begin the next year, but will be especially abundant.
Marisol's peduncles are long, so it is recommended to grow the variety in raised beds.
When growing the Marisol variety, you need to pay attention to several nuances.
- Watering. Italian strawberries are abundantly moisturized 2-3 times a week during dry periods, as well as during flowering and fruit formation.
- Top dressing. In the spring, Marisol is treated with a solution of bird droppings or cow dung, in May it is sprayed with an infusion of nettle tops, and after fruiting, phosphorus-potassium mixtures are introduced into the soil.
- Loosening and weeding. In order for the Italian variety to develop well, it is necessary to regularly remove weeds from the beds. After each watering, the soil is loosened, this must be done with caution, to a depth of no more than 3 cm.
When breeding the strawberry variety Marisol, it is important to regularly remove the growing mustache from the bushes. With the onset of autumn, wilted leaves are cut off on the plant and the plantings are thinned out, and then the beds are covered with agrofibre and spruce branches.
It is possible to increase the population of strawberries Marisol at their summer cottage not only by seeds, but also by vegetative methods.
- Mustache reproduction. Several healthy plants are chosen in the garden, the peduncles are cut off and during the season they are fed with nitrogen. When the whiskers grow back, sockets of the first and second order are left. They are dropped in and watered abundantly, and after rooting, they are separated from the main bush.
- Reproduction by division. Overgrown Marisol strawberries can be cut into 2-3 parts along the rhizome. Each division with developed feeding processes and several leaves is transferred to prepared new places.
Advice! For mustache propagation, it is recommended to leave free space between the beds in advance.
Reproduction by division is carried out for bushes older than three years
Strawberry Marisol is a young Italian variety with dessert taste. The variety has a high immunity to fungi, but often freezes out during wintering in the open ground of the middle strip.
Reviews of gardeners about strawberries Marisol
Petrova Marina Evgenievna, Stavropol
I love to grow new varieties of strawberries on the site. Marisol planted in 2018 immediately after entering the market. I liked the berries very much, but caring for the variety turned out to be difficult. I had to carefully monitor the humidity, and in the fall, the beds should be properly insulated. There were few attacks during the winter, but several bushes nevertheless died.
Glyantseva Anna Arkadyevna, Tula
Marisol planted strawberries last year, inspired by the reviews of familiar gardeners. The germination of the variety was good, the berries were large enough and very sweet. Only a modest harvest did not please. Strawberries endured the winter relatively well, although some plants were still frozen.