We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Salting and pickling milk mushrooms in a cold and sometimes hot way is always fraught with one problem - the appearance of mold. However, this is not always a sentence to homework. If salted or pickled milk mushrooms are moldy, then with early detection they can be saved.
Why did mold appear after salting the mushrooms?
Molds are the most common living organism on earth. In a comfortable environment, they multiply quite quickly, spreading to more and more new territories. Canned mushrooms are an excellent nutrient base for mold growth. It is enough even for a small amount of mold spores to get into the container where salted or pickled milk mushrooms are stored, this will certainly lead to the spread of the focus of infection to all products, without exception, in the jar.
Mold on mushrooms - the result of violations during canning and storage
There are quite a few reasons why salted milk mushrooms become moldy even in tightly rolled jars under a metal lid. Here are the main ones:
- Insufficient heat treatment (with hot canning).
- Dirty raw materials.
- Low amount of preservatives such as salt or vinegar.
- Poor preparation of containers for canning, insufficient sterilization of cans.
- Loose twisting of cans, violation of their tightness during storage.
- Unacceptable storage conditions.
Important! Even a little contact with the surrounding air is guaranteed to cause the canned mushrooms to grow moldy.
Is it possible to eat salted milk mushrooms
Oxygen is essential for the development of mold. Therefore, fungi grow moldy first of all in the place where there is direct contact of the fruiting body with air. From this, the fruit bodies turn black, and a greenish-white bloom appears on their surface. They cannot be eaten in this form. The deeper layers of the caps, hidden under the brine, mold much later. If the milk mushrooms are moldy from above, then it is necessary to get rid of the entire upper layer that has traces of damage. Under it may well be absolutely normal salted mushrooms. If you carry out a number of manipulations with them, then they can be safely eaten without any fear.
Severely affected by mold mushrooms one way - to the trash heap
Important! If black mold has appeared on the milk mushrooms, then you should refuse to eat them. Such blanks must be thrown away.
What to do with mold on salted milk mushrooms
Having discovered that salted milk mushrooms are moldy, it is necessary to start processing them as soon as possible. In this case, most of the homework will most likely be saved. The top layer of milk mushrooms, on which there is blackness and obvious traces of mold development, should be thrown away without hesitation. If under it there are caps that are clean and free from damage, then they must be carefully transferred to another container. Since mold spores are already present in the brine, all removed fruiting bodies must be boiled to avoid further development of the fungus.
A saucepan with selected clean weights is poured with clean water and put on fire. Bringing water to a boil is enough to kill mold spores. After boiling, the water is drained. The mushrooms are laid out in sterilized containers, sprinkled with salt, and poured with fresh brine.
Boiling will kill mold spores in the brine
Important! Together with the brine, the main spices should also be added: bay leaf, dill, pepper, garlic. Otherwise, the taste of boiled milk mushrooms will be weakly saturated and watery.
It is necessary to disinfect not only the container in which the milk mushrooms are laid, but also a wooden circle and oppression, which keeps the mushrooms in the brine. They are thoroughly washed from mold with water, and then scalded with boiling water. The mug and oppression are set in place, after which the container is removed for storage.
Storage rules for salted milk mushrooms
Best of all, milk mushrooms are stored at a temperature of + 2-4 ° C. As it rises, the risk of mold re-development increases significantly. To prevent this, the tub is regularly inspected. About 1 time per week, the oppression and the wooden circle are removed, the brine, which is above the level of the mushrooms, is carefully drained, adding fresh saline instead. The edges of the tub are wiped with a cloth dipped in vinegar. The wooden circle and oppression are washed with water and scalded with boiling water, after which they are returned to their place.
When stored under the right conditions, the risk of mold growth on salted milk is very small.
Important! Do not use metal utensils for both the initial and re-placing of salted mushrooms for storage. You can keep salted milk mushrooms in glass jars, wooden tubs, enamelled bins or buckets.
In the video you can see how the development of mold is controlled when salting mushrooms:
If during storage the salted milk mushrooms become moldy, then this is not a reason to throw them away. It is enough to cull, disinfect the container and the mushrooms themselves and fill them with fresh brine. And in order to avoid a repetition of the trouble, during a detailed inspection, the cause of the appearance of mold must be established, the storage conditions, the quality of the raw materials and materials used must be checked.