We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Outlets offer a huge selection of tomato varieties. Most vegetable growers traditionally give preference to novelties of selection, and most often of foreign origin. Old domestic varieties are gradually fading into the background, but in vain. Such crops are more adapted to our climate. A simple example is the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov, which bears large fruits.
Characteristics of the variety
It is worth considering the characteristics and description of the tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov with the fact that the culture is not so easy to grow. The tomato is suitable for any type of planting: in a shelter and in a vegetable garden. The domestic variety is endowed with good immunity from common diseases. The difficulty of caring for a tomato arises from its growth. The bush grows from 1.5 to 2 m in height. In the open method of cultivation, the stems of the plant must be carefully fixed to the trellis so that they do not break off from gusts of wind and under the weight of the fruits.
Advice! The optimal protection of a tomato from the weather is a greenhouse.
The Cosmonaut Volkov variety belongs to the group of indeterminate tomatoes. The type of bush is standard. In terms of ripening, the tomato is considered medium early, since the first harvest can be obtained in 110 days. The high yield of tomato Cosmonaut Volkov once made the variety popular among domestic vegetable growers. Having created good growing conditions, the vegetable grower will be able to take up to 7 kg of fruits from the bush. When recalculating the yield from 1 m2 you can get up to 18 kg of tomato.
From the considered description, the following advantages of the variety can be distinguished:
- A high yield rate always comes first in the characteristics of any garden crop. The Cosmonaut Volkov variety fully meets the requirements in this regard.
- Excellent adaptation to our weather conditions and good immunity made the tomato immune to many viral and fungal diseases.
- The fruits are characterized by good taste and large size. The tomato is used for all types of processing, preparing salads, decorating dishes. But for whole-fruit canning, tomato is not used. Large fruits simply will not fit into the jar.
Many vegetable growers consider the high growth of the bush to be a disadvantage of the variety. Caring for a plant takes a lot of time and effort. The tomato needs to make a trellis, constantly tie the growing stems, prop up heavy bunches of fruits. Most of all problems arise with the branches of the lower tier. The largest tomatoes are tied on them. You need to manage to make props so that the fruits do not touch the ground.
To finish the review of the description and photo of the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov is worth describing the fruit. The variety is considered large-fruited. The average weight of a mature tomato varies from 500 to 650 g. Fruits usually grow larger on the lower tier. Their weight can reach 800 g. The shape of the tomato is round with a strongly flattened part at the stalk. The top of the fruit is round or slightly flattened. The flesh is sugary; when ripe, it turns red. The size of the tomato seeds Cosmonaut Volkov is average. The grains are arranged evenly in 6 or 7 chambers. The content of dry matter in the pulp of a tomato is not more than 6%.
Important! The Cosmonaut Volkov variety is valuable for a large amount of vitamins in the fruit. In the pulp of the vegetable, acid and sugar are well balanced.
Despite the fact that the fruits are quite large, they can be stored for a long time. Tomatoes are easy to transport. From the fleshy pulp, a thick paste, ketchup, juice is obtained. Small fruits can be used for pickling in a barrel.
The video shows the proven varieties of tomatoes:
Cultivation rules of the variety
So, we got acquainted with the characteristics and description of the tomato Cosmonaut Volkov. Now is the time to learn the secrets and rules of growing a crop. To get a good harvest, you need to follow these steps:
- The tomato is characterized by a high growth of the bush. It is imperative to tie it up. In a greenhouse, the plant can stretch up to 2 m. Long tomato stems can only be tied to a trellis. The structure is usually made of posts on which a rope or wire is pulled. Under the open sky, the bushes grow smaller. Usually their height is limited to 1.5 m, but a garter is still needed. If there are few bushes, you can do without the trellis. Wooden stakes driven into the ground will serve as a good support.
- When growing tomatoes in greenhouses, Cosmonaut Volkov, it is necessary to take care of good lighting. Lack of light will affect the development of the plant. The bush will constantly stretch towards the transparent ceiling of the greenhouse. The tomato stalk will turn out to be thin and fragile. As a result, the fruits will receive less nutrients, which will affect their quality and yield.
- Tomatoes are grown as seedlings. They buy it ready-made on the market or get it themselves from seeds. Sowing is carried out no earlier than 2 months before planting seedlings in the garden. Before planting, self-collected grains from a tomato must undergo a process of disinfection with potassium permanganate, hardening and germination. Shop seeds are usually ready for sowing.
- For sowing tomato seeds, boxes are usually used. When the plants form two full-fledged leaves, they are dived, seated in separate cups.
- Tomato seedlings are planted in the greenhouse from mid-to-late March. Tomatoes are planted outdoors when warm days are established outside and the ground has warmed up. It must be remembered that Cosmonaut Volkov is a tall variety. Bushes need freedom to grow. It is advisable to maintain a gap of at least 70 cm between each tomato.
- In mid-July, you need to limit the growth of bushes. This is done by pinching the tops of the tomatoes. Slowdown in growth is required for the full formation of the bush. The late brushes that appear should not be spared. They are cut off. The fruits will still not have time to reach even technical ripeness by the time the main tomato crop is harvested. The formation of a bush requires the removal of unnecessary stepsons. The process is the same as for any tall tomato. The plant is formed into one or two stems.
- Frequent watering a variety of tomatoes Cosmonaut Volkov does not like. It is better to do this less often, but pour more water. The frequency of watering is increased during the ovary period. It is undesirable to use cold water from a well. It will inhibit the growth of the tomato. It is good to have a storage tank on the site in which the water will warm up during the day. Water the tomatoes in the early morning or late evening. The second option is preferable in hot weather.
- When the water is absorbed after watering, the soil must be loosened. When growing tomatoes in greenhouses, ventilation is required. This process is required after each watering. Fresh air is needed for the full development of tomatoes. Plus, insects fly through the open doors and vents inside the greenhouse. They are needed for pollination of flowers.
Attention! Insects are not only useful, but also pests. You can save tomato plantings by spraying with preventive drugs.
Cosmonaut Volkov tomatoes are characterized by amicable ripening. If the fruits need to be stored, it is better to pick them a little unripe. Tomatoes in a warm, dry place will ripen by themselves.
Top dressing of tomatoes
For the entire season of planting tomatoes, three mandatory fertilizing are required. They are introduced into the ground before the start of the fruit ovary. In general, the tomato variety is considered unpretentious to the composition of the soil, but without fertilizers it will be difficult for the culture to develop. Large fruits pull a lot of nutrients from the plant, and they need to be replenished.
Humus and wood ash alone are indispensable. Tomato needs complex fertilizers containing minerals. They are bought in the store. The fertilizer application rate is written in the instructions on the package. Experienced growers regulate it themselves. The poorer the soil, the more the dose of feeding tomatoes is increased.
Preventive measures and pest control
Despite the resistance of the Cosmonaut Volkov variety to various diseases, during an epidemic it is worth taking care of preventive measures. In addition, pests are not averse to feasting on juicy foliage and fruits. To preserve the plantings of tomatoes, you need to take the following measures:
- The evil tobacco mosaic is capable of completely killing the plant. If infected branches are found on a tomato, they must be cut and burned. The wound on the plant is treated with a steep solution of manganese.
- From mistakes made by the vegetable grower, brown spot appears on the tomato. This is due to improper watering or a violation of the temperature regime. After regulating these actions at the initial stage, you can get rid of this ailment. If everything is running, and the tomatoes are badly affected, you can try to save the plants by spraying with chemicals. An extreme way out of the situation is to remove the affected tomato bushes.
- Whitefly is a nasty white moth that damages tomato foliage. You can get rid of the enemy with Confidor. Tomato plantings are sprayed with a solution of 10 liters of water and 1 ml of the preparation. This volume is enough to process a plot of 100 m2.
- Tomatoes growing outdoors are at risk of being hit by spider mites. An ordinary soap solution will come to the rescue. They are sprayed with tomato bushes, and severely affected areas can even be washed.
- If there is often dampness under the bushes, there is a possibility of slugs appearing. The fight method is simple. Ash or ground hot peppers are scattered around the tomato bushes on the ground.
It is better to protect yourself from any pest or disease with preventive measures. In advanced cases, no drugs can help.
There are different reviews about the tomato variety Cosmonaut Volkov. Some growers like a tomato, others have failed to grow it. Let's read what ordinary gardeners say about this vegetable.
Igor, owner of a suburban area
Cosmonaut Volkov learned about the tomato from the TV show. I got interested right away and decided to try to grow it. The result was good. Collected 25 kg of large fruits from 1 m2. The tomatoes are delicious. I form bushes with only one stem. They stretch out to me about 1.8 m in height.
Olga, summer resident
The seeds of the Cosmonaut Volkov variety were shared by a neighbor in the country. She has been growing this tomato for the fifth year. The first impression of the harvest is good. The tomatoes have grown large, tasty, but they are stored for a maximum of 7 days.